Monday, June 30, 2008

Bridal Shower

She was the first newborn baby I ever remember holding in my arms. I was 12 and there are pictures of me holding her tiny body. I played with her and babysat her until I grew older and moved away to live my own life. Officially she is my second cousin, the granddaughter of my father's sister. I have a ton of cousins, including second, third and fourth cousins. Yesterday was her bridal shower. She seems so young as she has always been a tiny girl and in my mind I still see the child that I used to swing around in circles. It is strange to see someone grow up.

I sat in a group of women all related to me. Cousins and aunts that had spent countless years together. We talked about our lives growing up and our lives now. Many of my cousins have children of their own and there was a range of daughters from 19 to 6. The youngest ones were dressed in their pretty little summer dresses and they helped carry gifts that were as big as they were. My godmother was there. I hadn't seen her in years, but her daughter is one of the bridesmaids and it was amazing to see her all grown up, willowy and beautiful. It was a time for women and girls and a time for memories and laughter.

No comments: